I dated a non-LDS guy for a little over 2 years, he went to a non denominational church. Our relationship was great as long as we avoided our religious differences; which we did for most of the time we dated, to avoid getting into a fight. On day we had a conversation if we were to get married what religion would we raise our kids? We agreed that we should both be on the same page in regards to religion and raising kids in a consistent home was important to us; so the things we would teach our kids wouldn't contradict each other. This lead to long extensive hours of religious debates, trying to figure out where we stood in relation to each others beliefs and if there was room for compromise. This seemed like a hurtle we would never over come; we just kept hitting the same wall over and over again. When we would finally agree on one thing, something else would come up.
Being in a long distance relationship is tough, and after 2 years of dodging our differences; I was more than ready to make that hurtle. I wanted to agree on something, and if we could never reach that point, then realize it and go our separate ways. I didn't want to waste either one of our time in a relationship that wasn't going to develop into any thing more than dating. Simply I wanted to make things work or move on.
After continually dissolving every theory he came up with as to how my religion was false I wanted to pry out him the real reason behind his hesitations and reservations towards my faith. Which of course I already knew the answer; the fact was that he is a mama's boy and it was his fear of disappointing her. She had made her self very clear on her disapproval/hatred towards the LDS faith. I just wanted him to recognize it, say it, and just be up front with me that he wasn't going to change. I had already been clear on this issue many times with him that I was firm in my belief. He never would give me a straight answer. I honestly think he was torn, he sincerely loved me but his mother had this grip on him that was stronger.
One day while talking over the phone, I asked him what his major concerns where with my church so we could address them and come to some kind of resolution. He usually comes up with new reasons why my church is incorrect. But on this day he had finally come up with a reason that stumped me… just for a minute and then of course I won; ahaha I am just kidding. But what he said was "Roxanne the biggest problem I have with your religion is the idea of a prophet, and the hierarchy of the church." He felt it extremely arrogant that my church would make such claims to think that the leader of the LDS faith has modern revelation and has the ability to communicate with God. And that there shouldn't be this level of hierarchy of a pompous prophet; he compared it to the Catholic Church's Pope. He felt that one man is not greater than another. I agree with him on that. I don't view the US president, chiefs, kings, bishops or any form of majesty to be superior than any one else. But someone does have to lead and I have much respect for the work and service these leaders do for their people. I view a prophet in this same regard. His job is to serve the people.
When discussing any topic, you may think you are speaking the same language but often time's people have different interpretations, intent and meanings of the exact same word. So it is important that you clarify the definition of word so you are all on the same page. While there are several definitions of a prophet we came to agree and to sum it up, a prophet was someone who had divine revelation of things yet to come.
prophet • noun (fem. prophetess) 1. an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God. 2 a person who predicts the future. 3 a person who advocates a new belief or theory.
proph·et [ próffət ] (plural proph·ets) Noun. Definition: 1 somebody who interprets divine will: somebody who claims to interpret or transmit the commands of a deity. 2 somebody predicting the future: somebody who predicts the future prophets of economic doom. 3 advocate of something: somebody who advocates a cause or idea. 4 inspired leader: somebody considered to be an inspired leader or teacher
So I asked him "Why do you have a problem with the idea of a prophet, don't you believe in them? Most all the authors of the Bible were prophets...so why would that concept be so foreign to you?" He stated he does believe in the concept but that the Bible has everything that we need to know pertaining to the gospel and salvation. He used the common argument that you can not add or take away from the bible. There in supporting his argument that there is no evidence or need for Book of Mormon. The bible has all the answers and information that we need or will ever need. Hence there is no need for a prophet today.
I was so frustrated with my self. Here I am, born and raised in my faith, a member all my life and yet I felt so inadequate in trying to defend or explain my faith to the degree that I felt I should have. Frantically searching the Bible for some kind of evidence to justify my belief (can't base any proof on the Book of Mormon to someone who doesn't acknowledge it as any form of scripture). I am not sure if by chance I fell upon this scripture but as I read through the chapter I had an "Ah-Ha" moment where things seemed to click and fall together; and was able to build my case for this argument.
So I asked him, "What do you think the book of Revelation is about?" He responded that the book written my John; describing signs and the prelude of events to happen in the last days; the second coming of Christ. I then asked "Then John foretelling future events of Armageddon would qualify him as a prophet?" He agreed. And I asked "Do think that the 2nd coming has happened yet? And all the seals have been fulfilled?" He said no but believed they would be very soon. I told him to open his Bible, turn to the book of Revelation chapter 11 and read it.
3: And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
6: These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.
7: And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
8: And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
9: And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.
10: And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.
11: And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.
I would like to point out key words and phrases in these verses of the King James version; and to sum it up 2 prophets will come in the last days and prophesy in Israel, eventually murdered, the people rejoice, and after 3 ½ days the prophets are resurrected.
Ok, so my logic flows as such. If the second coming as not yet happened nor have all the signs been fulfilled yet; then there MUST be a prophet today or some time in the future to fulfill this event and kick off Armageddon. And if there is a Prophet (someone who has divine revelation of things yet to come) then the Bible has NOT said everything we need to know.
I found the idea that God has abandoned us disheartening; I don't believe God abandons us if any thing it is us that abandoned him. I find it hard to imagine a God that takes the time to listen and answer the smallest of persons prayer a God that would abandon us in times of need as the last days draw near.
I believe God is no respecters of persons he is an unchanging God; he is the same now as he was then; he has always had prophets to lead and guide his people and will continue to always have prophets.
It is unfortunate that we unable to resolve our difference, we went our separate ways. All things happen for reason. I respect his love and devotion to his faith and family. I recognize what he did for me; he pushed and cause me question my faith which has only made me stronger and more devoted member of my church. For that I will always love and appreciate him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment