Tuesday, July 21, 2009

21 Grams

I think way to much about things sometimes. This is a conversation me and my sister had few months back. A little example of what we get into and debate about at home.

It was on a Sunday after church at my parent's house, and we got on the topic of what the difference is between having multiple personalities and being possessed was? Both of my parents joined in on our debate. I forget why but for some reason Samantha mentions an article in the Reader's Digest that she had read. It talks about a study done that had concluded the human spirit has weight. In the study they weighed someone just before they died and seconds after, taking in account for the weight of their last breath, etc. and there was a consistent amount of weight that was unaccounted for on all the patients the study was done on.

So I was curious and asked Sam " Well how much did the article say the spirit weighted?"

sam: " I cant remember what the article said exactly but I think it was around 2 ounces"

rox: " 2 ounces huh, that seems a little to heavy don't you think?"

sam: " Why cant it be 2 ounces? that's not to heavy!"

At this point sam is getting a little irritated with me. I don't know why? I wasn't arguing whether a spirit has weight or not, I am sure it can... just that 2 ounces seemed to heavy.

I admit though I do like to play the devil's advocate, I'll almost always swing the opposite direction on an argument even if I completely agree. I think I like to really push people's ideas, thoughts and beliefs. People always try and be so PC and never say what they are really thinking, and/or they don't fully understand what they claim to believe. I find more people to be followers and not leader even when it comes to their own claims on what they believe. They just kind of go along with a popular concept with out using their own brain to test, examine and form their own opinion.

mom: "It was something like 2 ounces Roxanne, I read the same article"

dad: "No, I think your both wrong I am with Roxy on this one, 2 ounces is to much" ( i am such a daddy's girl, ahaha)

sam: " Rox why isn't it possible for a spirit to weigh 2 ounces?

This was my response and reasoning.....

rox: "Well I guess it is possible, but lets say for example in bible Mark Chapter 5, when the possessed man comes to Jesus, and Jesus asked the man "how many are there?" and the man replied "we are a legion" and the spirits begged Jesus not to cast them out but to give them a body, so Jesus put the unwanted spirits into a herd of swine and all the pigs went crazy and ran off a cliff and drowned in the sea....okay so now how many exactly is a legion?"

I thought it was 1,000... none of us knew for sure so we had to look it up, in the next few minutes, my mom had her dictionary out, my dad was looking it up on the computer, sam had her bible dictionary, lol. any ways different sources had different figures but it was any where between a 3,000-6,000 men make up a legion in the roman army.

rox: " okay, okay Sam this is why I think 2 ounce is to much. If it is possible to be possessed and you claim a spirit can weigh 2 ounces that means you would have 8 spirits per pound. There for if it is possible that a man can be possessed by a legion of spirits. Let's just make a nice even middle number of 5,000... 5,000 divided by 8 spirits....gives us 625 pounds! So you're telling me that guy was swinging and extra 625 pounds??? I don't think so... and that's why it is too heavy!"

ahaha I win, I win...Samantha didn't really have much to say, after that. She had no come back and couldn't argue my point. The room got a little quite; we all had to step back for a minute. Got a little to deep; to much to think about.



by the way the weight in the study is actually 21 grams.

No comments:

Post a Comment