Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pay it Forward

We all have our rough days… and since you never know what some one else is going through in life, you should always be polite and mindful even if you're the one having the bad day.

Mervyns

My dad went into Mervyns and was chatting with the cashier like he always does. Asked her how her day was going, she told him that her car had been stolen over night, so she had to take the bus to work, missed it and had to wait 30 min for the next one, which made her late. When she finally arrived at work she realized that she had left her purse on the bench at the bus stop. She spent all of her breaks calling and canceling her credit cards. After my dad finished paying for his things he went across the street to the In n' Out. He thought that with out her purse she wouldn't be able to pay for a lunch, so he bought her one. When he went back to Mervyns and gave lunch to the cashier, she just started crying, and couldn't stop thanking him. I think after a day like that I probably would be crying too.

The Bank Teller

My mom went to the bank and the young bank teller there had complimented my mom on the pin we was wearing that day (the pro life baby feet pin). My mom said that since she liked it so much she could have it, as my mom was taking the pin off her sweater to give to the young woman, the teller says "no, no you don't have to do that, its yours…." my mom interrupted and says to her "I have another one at home, here take this one. It's really no a big deal." About 3 weeks later my mom received a 4 page letter in the mail from that teller. Thanking her for her sweet act and that earlier that day a customer had come into the bank cussing and chewed the young teller out so bad that she was seriously contemplating quitting her job that day. She was tired of all the rude customers that treated her poorly, until my mom gave her that baby feet pin.

Simply acknowledging someone can have a huge impact. Just asking how they are doing, you might be surprised at the reaction you get. I was at Blockbuster with my sister Sam late one night, as we were checking out I asked the girl how she was doing… she said that I was the first person to ask her that all night! I found that disappointing to hear since it was near closing time and I was the only one to ask the cashier girl how her day was? I apologized to the girl for how rude people can be.

Probably one of the best compliments I have ever received, was from a guy I dated. He went to the grocery store with his room mate, as they were leaving... his room mate asked him if he knew the cashier insde the store? He replied "No, why?" The room mate said "Well you were talking to the cashier as if you were old friends?" and my ex told his roomie " I think it's just that Roxanne is kind of rubbing off me." I have always looked up to and admired my parents. They have been the best example to me and how you treat others. It was nice to hear that someone thought I was a good example to them. Small things can mean so much to someone. So pay it forward:)

Oh, one last thing. When you are conducting business, get off your cell phone and give your attention to the PERSON that is doing you a service…instead of treating them as if they don't exist. It's rude to them and any one that is in line behind you. If your driving in the car, or out to dinner with someone stay off your phone! Who ever is calling you can leave a message or wait till you are available. You pay the bill, the cell phone is for YOU to use at YOUR convenience! Not for other people to get a hold of you any time THEY want, at THEIR convenience. Most circumstances are not dire, and can wait. Ok now I am done venting on that topic

No comments:

Post a Comment